Friday, March 7, 2014

Separation Anxiety



Continuing off my post from last week about theme parks, if you decide to go, here is something to keep in mind, theme parks are huge and crowded, meaning it is easy to lose family members.

Part of the line for a Harry Potter ride
This summer my family went to Universal in Orlando and we lost my dad (we often loose him – arenas, malls, parking lots, etc). Because we were out of country, we had no cell phones to contact him. Luckily he is 6’1½ and we could spot him wandering in Harry Potter land. The point being, it’s very easy to become separated.







So here are some tips to help avoid that feeling of anxiety:
  • Know what everyone is wearing. I’ve seen groups all wear the same shirt or jersey to easily locate group members.
  • Practice the buddy system, especially with kids.
My buddy was my sister and I wore a bright colour
  • If your child has a disability, I’ve seen people make shirts for the child saying what their disability is and if they become separated, they provide contact information on the shirt.
  • Have a cell phone or walkie-talkies.
  • Wear bright colours.
  • Have a meeting place, incase anyone is separated.
  • Carry a picture of everyone, you can show it to security, incase a more serious issue occurs.
  • If travelling with kids, emphasis the importance of staying with the group. Set out consequences and rewards before going to the park.
  • Ex. If Billy runs ahead, he’ll miss out on a ride or if Billy stays with everyone, he can receive a treat.
Finally found dad
If you have tips, please post in the comment section.


5 comments:

  1. When I was a kid my family took a road trip to Universal. I think I was still a little young to really enjoy the theme park because I don't really remember much, except how hot it was and all the long lines. I had more fun on the trip down, I do want to go back now, but just to go to Harry Potter Land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips, Jessica! I'll definitely implement them with my kids!
    My youngest (and scariest) memory is from when I was 3 and we were at Disney World. I got lost there...terrifying! It was probably only for a minute at most, but I'll certainly never forget. I'm sure your dad didn't have the same reaction though haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jessica! Getting lost at a theme park is terrifying, especially when there is no access to cellphones. I remember getting lost in a theme park back in China when I was younger and it was one of the most terrifying things that could have happened. Luckily, I was able to find my family again, but that experience is not something I am going to forget. Keep the great posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Universal Orlando and Harry Potter World are by far two of the coolest places I have been in so long. The way they have done Harry Potter World and the ride in the castle loterally moved me. Thankfully you're constantly moving in line and there's lots to look at it.
    I love your tips and all your stories jess! Keep it up Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckily I have never been lost in a theme park, but I do remember getting lost at a street fair when I was younger. Such a terrifying experience. It looks like you and your family have tons of great times together, great blog!

    ReplyDelete