Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Staycation



This week, thousands of Canadians are off for March break. Some of the lucky ones have been able to leave the country in search for warmer weather. Those that were unable to get away can still have a vacation; you just need to have a staycation.

Exploring the ice caves in Niagara
A staycation is when an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities. You might take day trips but usually at the end of the day you are sleeping back in your own bed.







So this March break, here are some ideas for your staycation:
Exploring the ROM
  • Visit a museum or science centre
  • Go to an amusement park or water park
  • Go to the beach or pool
  • Get the bike out
  • Go to a movie or see a show
  • Go shopping
  • Take a hike
  • Zoos
  • Go to a concert
  • Read a book
  • Sporting events such as minor or professional hockey, lacrosse, soccer, basketball, etc.
  • Host a potluck or barbeque
  • Spend time with the kids, family, or friends
  • Camp in your own backyard
  • Have a board game night
  • Is that it can save you money
  • You do not have the hassle of packing
  • You don’t have to worry about travelling
  • You don’t waste days travelling to and from, so you will have more time for your vacation
  • If the weather is crappy, it won’t ruin your vacation

Next time you are wishing you were away on vacation, try using some of these ideas.

7 comments:

  1. Love this post, I recognize those dinosaurs! I agree - a staycation is often the best! Great suggestions on ideas of what to do, here's hoping I get a staycation soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good staycation! Sometimes travelling can be more exhausting than relaxing, so a staycation is always a nice way to unwind. However, I don't think any of us will be camping in our back yards this March break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the suggestions you provide for things to do during a staycation. As much as I loved the trips my family and I went on, some of my fondest memories are of our staycations when we used to take part in various leisure activities at home. As you stated, there are a lot of positives to staycations (especially saving money and sleeping in your own bed). Sometimes family trips can be hectic and anything but a vacation. A staycation can alleviate those stresses and allow families to reconnect at home. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than reading a good book on a snowy afternoon. Give me that over the stress of travelling any day of the week.

    Great ideas, Jessica!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips, Jess! Usually these are the only kind of vacations I get to indulge in, as when I'm not in school I usually at work and haven't been able to take a vacation in about 4 years. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like queen of the staycations! Good thing this area has so many great tourist attractions. My girls and I are familiar with many of them and I'm always having a search around to find out if any special events are happening. Thanks for the great tips! I hope one day soon to do an actual VACATION though... I'd love to go somewhere warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really good ideas for a staycation! I'd love to say that I did stuff on reading week.. but sadly I did not.
    I'm definitely going to use these ideas for weekends during the internship. Maybe drag my boyfriend out to something- he'll love you for that!

    Thanks Jess, awesome blog post!

    ReplyDelete