Friday, January 31, 2014

Car mishaps


Tucker waiting for his car ride


Before beginning any adventure, you need to plan your trip, including your transportation and what to pack. Our safari van is our mode of transportation.

Our van has served us well and has its share of miles. Its age was becoming apparent when my family was travelling to Florida. "You have faith brother" was the response of a customs officer when we were crossing the boarder. The man was in disbelief and wanted to know how many miles the van had and if we were seriously planning on taking it south. The van had broken down the week before so we were just as unsure of it as he was.

My family's 2002 Safari van

Luckily our van survived the trip, mostly, minus the side mirror falling off on the interstate and the air conditioning breaking down in 40°C weather. But as I said, mostly.

The important thing is to know your vehicle and before departing, be prepared for mechanical failures and perform a vehicle maintenance inspection. This includes:
  • Making sure tires are in proper condition and pressure
  • Inspecting wiper blades
  • Having washer fluid
  • Etc.

Make sure your car has an emergency first aid kit and physical maps. You can’t always rely on a gps. Preventative action is best and when your mirror does fall off or customs is laughing at you, if you are prepared for these mishaps, it won’t damper your vacation.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica, sweet blog. It makes me think of the memories I have from vacationing with the Yeo clan as a boy. Especially because, like the Demars clan, we always travelled via automobile.

    Its good that you mention to prepare for mechanical failures because they certainly can happen. It happened to us with a blown trailer tire on the highway down in St. Augustine Beach, Florida. While it was unfortunate and a pain to deal with, it allowed for some extra bonding time and great sights to cherish with the family.

    Thanks again for helping me reminisce some good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle, thanks for the comment. I'm happy that you were able to experience travelling with your family via automobile. I feel like it's a great way for family bonding and can bring out the best and worst in your family.
    I hope my blog provides a great ride down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this blog post Jessica, vehicle mishaps are certainly something I can relate to. I can also relate to laughing at yourself when they occur! Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessica, great post! It took me back to when my Dad and I used to go up north for fishing weekends. It wasn't a very long drive mind you, but mishaps still happened... like when he fell out of the fishing boat and lost the car keys in the lake. That was fun. :) Waiting for my grandpa to come get us and all the jokes he made when he got there are fond memories. :)
    Wow sorry this turned into about me lol anyway Can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane I'm so happy that turned into all about you, it made me smile and thankful that I wasn't the only one who suffers from these mishaps, plus they provide us with some great memories.

      Delete
  5. I've driven to Florida (right down to Fort Myers and the keys) and know how long a car trip can be. I have done it in a junker car with a camper trailer behind us and in a brand new 3 week old Honda Accord. We made I with the junker and got hit head on on the I90 in the Honda with some jerk going the wrong way on the interstate in a snow storm. both trips were interesting and event packed, just the way you want a trip to be. ...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess it is safe to say that your family is brave, not for travelling in that van, but for packing all of you and your dog inside it for those long trips! Kudos to your family for all of your patience. I've enjoyed reading about all of your vacations and how to prepare for them! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete